Welcome to the SMPS/LA CPSM Page!
One of the most important steps you can take in your career as an AEC marketing or business development professional is to pursue your accreditation as a Certified Professional Services Marketer, and the Los Angeles Chapter wants to help you achieve it.
SMPS/LA offers a members-only training program to prepare eligible members to take the CPSM exam and to introduce newer members to the SMPS Domains of Practice. Every other week over the 16-week course, knowledgeable CPSM-accredited instructors will provide an in-depth look at Domains 1-6, which cover marketing research, marketing planning, client and business development, SOQs and proposals, promotional activity, and information, resource and organizational management.
Join us and establish a support group of like-minded peers and help prepare for the examination.
If you have questions, please contact:
SMPS-LA Professional Development Director
WHY BECOME A CPSM?
Because your marketing skills are vital to the lifeline of your firm. Every day you further your company’s growth by identifying new project opportunities, developing business relationships, and getting your company’s name in front of prospective clients. That’s your job as a professional services marketer. SMPS, the recognized leader in education and information for marketing professional services, offers a credential that recognizes the marketing expertise you have achieved: Certified Professional Services Marketer (CPSM). The CPSM credential is a voluntary certification designed to elevate the professional standards in marketing and influence the future of the field. Furthermore, the CPSM designation serves as a mark of distinction for professional services marketers and business developers, raising their standing with their employers, peers, and the public.
For more information CLICK HERE
BENEFITS OF A CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
When you apply for the CPSM examination, you are taking your first step toward joining a distinguished group of professionals who have made a commitment to professional excellence, career advancement, and ongoing pursuit of knowledge.
This voluntary certification is designed to:
- – Raise the professional standards and stature of marketing and business development in the design and construction industry
- – Encourage self-assessment by offering guidelines for achievement in the profession
- – Recognize individuals who have demonstrated knowledge of the practice and related disciplines through a test of basic competency
- – Enhance the credibility of the profession in the industry
- – Influence the future of the field.
The CPSM designation is a mark of distinction. The achievement offers you a wide range of important benefits:
- – Improved ability to compete in the job market
- – Enhanced credibility as a professional in the A/E/C community
- – Potential for increased compensation and benefits.
- – Invitation to CPSM-only educational and networking programs
- – Access to the CPSM communities on MySMPS and LinkedIn
Upon earning the CPSM designation, you will receive:
- – a personalized certificate of achievement
- – a CPSM lapel pin
- – a notification letter sent to your employer
- – acknowledgement in SMPS’s publications, on our web site, and at the National Marketing Conference.
To learn more about or purchase the Markendium CLICK HERE.
To learn about the six Domains of Practice CLICK HERE.
To sit for the CPSM examination, a candidate must meet the following requirements:
- – Possess a bachelor’s degree or an advanced degree plus four years of experience in marketing or business development for firms providing professional services, or
- – Possess an associate’s degree plus six years work experience in marketing or business development for firms providing professional services, or
- – Without a degree, have eight years of experience in marketing or business development for firms providing professional services
In addition, all candidates must pledge to abide by the CPSM Code of Ethics.
Step 1. Complete and submit the online CPSM application form and application fee to Professional Testing Corporation (PTC). Include a copy of your college transcript, or a notarized photocopy of your degree (when applicable).
Step 2. The application will be reviewed, and candidates will receive their Eligibility Notice from PTC within two weeks. Candidates will have one year from their application approval date to sit for the exam. (If you do not receive your Eligibility Notice from PTC within two weeks, contact PTC at 212.356.0660 for a duplicate.)
Step 3. Refer to the Eligibility Notice for details on how to schedule your examination appointment at a PSI Testing Center. Appointment times are first-come, first-serve, so schedule your appointment as soon as you receive your Eligibility Notice to maximize your chance of testing at your preferred location and on your preferred date. You have one year from the date your application is approved to take the test.