February 22nd, 2018
The award-winning team at GGLO, a collaborative design firm in Seattle and Los Angeles, seeks a Business Development (BD) Director.
We are an innovative firm designing buildings, landscapes, and places that weave together a vibrant mix of uses to embrace the communities in which we work. Our dynamic team of interdisciplinary professionals crafts solutions for our clients by asking the right questions, diving deep into understanding their needs and the context of our projects, and by pursuing new ways of thinking about the future. We are recognized in the design community for the quality and thoughtfulness of our work, and for being focused on outcomes that build healthy communities and cities.
About this Role
The primary focus of the Business Development Director is to work collaboratively with our Principals to pursue design-focused projects in the US and abroad. This position represents GGLO externally within our core geographical markets, the Puget Sound Region, Los Angeles and other locations, to help grow our business and seek out opportunities for our firm. The BD Director, in concert with leadership, develops, coordinates and implements plans designed to increase GGLO’s existing business and capture new opportunities. This position is involved in strategic Business Development planning with the leadership team, setting objectives and identifying methods to reach those goals. This person maintains a keen awareness of organizational growth initiatives related to regional markets, target customer segments and maximizes GGLO’s potential to meet customer needs.
• Develop and implement a Business Development Strategy to meet GGLO’s ambitious growth, recognition, and improved market position goals.
• Represent GGLO externally to clients, peer organizations, potential partners, and business associates within the Puget Sound Region, Los Angeles and other locations to help grow our business and reputation.
• Partner with GGLO’s Leadership in the pursuit of projects. Provide guidance for go / no-go decisions, proposal preparations, and interview approach to meet strategic goals.
• Attend industry events; act as an industry connector and linking GGLO solutions to key needs in our industry with our clients.
• Direct, participate with and support GGLO’s Principals in effective outreach to clients, prospects, and partners to gain insight, develop new opportunities, as well as build and maintain relationships with clients.
• Create business building strategies, and identify potential market segment opportunities.
• Stimulate and guide essential conversations into new territory of project opportunities and relationships. Identify industry trends through intel, research and thought leadership.
• Collaborate with our integrated team to extract, understand, and communicate technical information and project stories in order to curate GGLO’s history and story.
• Convert strategy into tactics through relationships, social media, teaching, speaking engagements, digital presence, advertising, events, partnerships, and other Business Development and Marketing initiatives.
• Bring forward-thinking and fresh approach and methods to enhance business development and marketing performance.
• Work in partnership with the Business Development and Marketing teams to achieve the department goals.
• Identify, evaluate and recommend internal practices to amplify Business Development goals.
• Oversee costs and returns of Business Development efforts through allocating resources, developing metrics to guide efforts, communicating accountability for meeting milestones and adjusting efforts based on data.
What You Have (Requirements):
• Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Architecture, or equivalent field
• 10+ years active growth in business development and marketing experience
• Proven ability to develop and implement strategic business initiatives
• Experience in leadership of individual and multiple stakeholder teams
• Measured success in building client relationships and leveraging stakeholders to promote business objectives
• Involvement with external community & professional organizations
• Demonstrated superior writing, editing, and verbal communication skills with high degree of professionalism
• Proficiency using marketing and presentation software, which may include experience with:
- Deltek Vision
- CRM software
- Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop)
- Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
• Expertise in the Architecture and Design industry; with preferred experience specifically with design focused Architectural firms
The Ideal Business Development Director has the Following Qualities:
• Client-focused, servant leader with largely external focus centered on generating, supporting, cultivating and leveraging relationships outside the office. Connection to the A/E/C Community and Clients through prior experience is preferred.
• Thorough comprehension of our business with an ability to curate our story effectively through knowledge of Design and Architecture as a distinct, creative profession. Translates concepts into tangible deliverables.
• Knowledge of GGLO’s design approach, project scale, and project type along with general knowledge of mixed-use projects on a regional, national and international level.
• Experience in firms with multiple and growing locations- a mindset of growth and future markets with an understanding of multiple office dynamics. Expertise in our current geographical markets including the Puget Sound and Los Angeles is preferred.
• Driven, self-motivated, and committed leader who is passionate about the built environment.
• Sociable, friendly disposition with enthusiasm for connecting people through identifying, supporting, fostering, and leveraging relationships and linking opportunities over time.
• Translates information clearly and with credibility. A discerning, analytical, resourceful, and curious investigator who seeks to understand and differentiate assorted input.
• Proactive, entrepreneurial, and creative decision maker with self-sufficient ability to navigate complex structures through a propensity to act while balancing multiple deadlines and changing priorities.
• Patiently collaborative with excellent interpersonal skills. Provides professional support to GGLO Firm leaders with a positive demeanor maintained under pressure and in adverse or ambiguous circumstances.
We offer paid licensure and industry memberships, professional development, mentorship programs, flexible schedules, remote work, generous time off, ORCA commuter passes, bicycle parking, office bicycles for use, casual dress code, relaxed atmosphere, pet friendly atmosphere, indoor gym, pool, sauna, summer concert series in our outdoor space, and a collaborative, stable environment. Along with competitive salaries, we offer a generous benefit package including fully paid Medical, Dental, Vision, Short and Long Term Disability, and Life Insurance, 401K with employer match program, annual Profit Sharing contributions, as well as an annual discretionary bonus opportunity for all employees.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and any relevant work samples as PDF attachments to Joanna Gallasch, Human Resources Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include writing samples demonstrating strong technical business communication skills, and use the subject line ‘Business Development Director’ in your email.
GGLO, LLC is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and maintaining an inclusive culture.