March 23rd, 2019
WLC Architects has been building a body of design work since 1974. Starting as a small, service-oriented firm, WLC quickly established a reputation as an energetic, creative consortium of designers and practitioners eager to take on the challenges of our growing list of clients. Over the past four decades WLC has remained a Client Focused, Passion Driven leader in the design of educational, community, civic, and religious facilities throughout California. With more than 100 staff members in four offices, we are looking for a team member to share the passion.
We are seeking a Business Development professional who has proven themselves in the A/E/C industry with experience in the K-12, community college and civic markets. This person will work from our Rancho Cucamonga office with responsibility for working with each of the principals located throughout California. This high energy individual will represent WLC in the community, build and maintain relationships and identify business opportunities in conjunction with our firm principals and educational resource consultants.
Key Characteristics and Attributes
• Self-starter, forward thinking, hands on and highly organized
• Demonstrated proficiency in conducting market research, developing and maintaining client relationships, identifying opportunities, and working with technical professionals to expand their practices.
• Possesses the self-confidence to offer suggestions and the emotional intelligence to understand how new or changes in initiatives may impact the firm overall.
• Resourceful and creative in challenging situations. Ability to solve problems and work independently.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Key Experience and Background
• Minimum of 5 – 7 years of business development experience in the architectural, engineering, construction or similar professional services
• Bachelor's degree in Business, Marketing, Communications, Architecture or Engineering.
• Experience with K-12, community college and/or civic markets, preferred.
The ideal business developer for WLC is poised to relate the firm’s story with confidence – knows the firm’s key projects and has the ability to speak knowledgeably on the firm’s capabilities and differentiators. WLC seeks an individual who will make this a priority while taking on the following responsibilities:
• Identifies future project opportunities with primary focus in K-12, community college and civic (public safety).
• Works closely with firm principals, Education Resource Consultants and Marketing Director to coordinate outreach.
• Identifies, develops, and/or maintains client contacts with key prospects and within key areas of specialty. Client pursuit and capture planning - seeks opportunities to strengthen client relationships and develops applicable sales strategy.
• Coordinates firm involvement in key industry organizations, conferences and events (e.g., SCUP, SMPS, CASH, CASBO, CSBA, CCLC, CCFC) to promote WLC, nurture and expand client relationships, develop pitches for speaking opportunities and identify opportunities.
• Conducts market research and gathers information on potential clients and projects. (e.g., tracks school and municipal bond measures, Capital Improvement Programs, etc.)
• Assists Principals in creating strategic alliances (CM firms, contractors, etc.) to better position the firm for success in achieving targets.
• Sets up and attends meetings, and/or makes introductions for appropriate firm leaders to meet with key clients and decision makers in advance of an RFP/RFQ. Organizes meetings with appropriate frequency in order to nurture those relationships so as to put firm in the most advantageous position prior to the RFP/RFQ process.
• Leads Go-NoGo project specific strategy meetings
• Participates in pre-proposal conferences and leads project kick off meetings in the development of proposal strategy. In collaboration with principals, identifies prospective client’s goals and preferences for the selection of internal team members and consultants in order to devise the best approach for the pursuit.
• Assists with insight and creativity to organize interview preparation sessions and critiques practice interviews to maximize potential for success.
• Gathers intelligence on competitors to improve our competitive edge.
• Assists in the development and implementation of business development plans for each of the firm studios including specific client pursuit plans.
• Provides oversight and updates to lead tracking database with relevant information on targeted clients, contacts and opportunities and reviews it monthly with principals.
• Leads BD/ marketing meetings with Studio Principals (K-12, Community College, Civic)
• Facilitates relationship-building activities and assists with the development of WLC staff to improve client relationship management skill sets.
• Provides oversight of business development budget for most effective ROI.
For more information, contact Marion Thatch, FSMPS, CPCC at email@example.com or call (510) 910-2509.