April 8th, 2017
We're active members of the communities we serve. That's why at Stantec, we always design with community in mind.
The Stantec community unites approximately 22,000 employees working in over 400 locations across six continents. Our work—engineering, architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, surveying, environmental sciences, project management, and project economics, from initial project concept and planning through design, construction, and commissioning—begins at the intersection of community, creativity, and client relationships. With a long-term commitment to the people and places we serve, Stantec has the unique ability to connect to projects on a personal level and advance the quality of life in communities across the globe. Stantec trades on the TSX and the NYSE under the symbol STN. Visit us at stantec.com or find us on social media.
Reporting to the Regional Marketing & Communications Manager, the Senior Communications Specialist is part investigative journalist, part storyteller. The position plays a key role in supporting content marketing strategies for assigned regions. Working in tandem with the regional marketing and public relations teams, the Senior Communications Specialist provides vital support in identifying, generating, and disseminating messaging, stories, and insight from practitioners and team counterparts for a variety of external and internal platforms, including social media, traditional media, and the company’s internal and external websites.
Strong knowledge of the AEC industry, land development, transportation, water, infrastructure, and buildings markets is preferable. This position will work in partnership with regional marketing, PR, and operations leadership to develop and implement communications plans for internal and external communications across public relations, social media, and internal platforms. This is a great opportunity to work closely with our business leaders, social strategists, and the regional marketing team to direct strategy and implement plans for targeted distribution and impact.
The Senior Communications Specialist leads the planning and strategy for Pacific Region Communications to support business line growth and enhance awareness of Stantec’s value proposition and full range of integrated services among Stantec employees (especially in support of mergers and acquisitions), and within the firm’s target markets. At the same time, maximizing messaging impact and consistency with corporate guidelines is essential. Success will involve partnering with regional leaders to help promote thought leadership and elevate brand visibility, as well as developing high-quality programs and materials that support communications metrics and align with our strategic plan.
The Senior Communications Specialist will have a day filled with overlapping deadlines—collaborating with people from various levels in the organization and managing projects ranging from administrative and organizational to strategic and creative. The Senior Communications Specialist collaborates with others in the organization who have their own overtime pressures and work habits and will need to be flexible and implement best practices. The ability to prioritize tasks and manage time effectively is essential. The Senior Communications Specialist must operate efficiently in a matrix environment, capable of taking direction from those who are not their immediate supervisor and also driving the overall development of communications pieces, assuming ownership of the document messaging, aesthetics and graphics, and overall development schedule. The Communications Specialist must be able to work autonomously and with limited oversight on some projects, while working collaboratively with marketing and communications, PR, operations teammates, and various media members on others.
Strong story-telling and writing skills are essential for this role. The Senior Communications Specialist is a champion of the Stantec brand and an expert in implementing the Stantec Voice and Style Guide. The Senior Communications Specialist develops dynamic content for the company’s website, intranet sites, employee magazine, promotional materials, and award submissions. The individual also assists in developing and tailoring content for external communications channels. In support of the organization’s recent branding initiative, the Senior Communications Specialist assists Public Relations Leads in editing content provided by marketing and technical staff for use on promotional channels.
The successful candidate will:
• Develop and manage Stantec’s overall voice, narrative, and messages consistent with corporate positioning; ensure the voice, message and values are consistently reinforced to prospects and clients through key interactions.
• Provide communications support and coaching (as needed) to key regional team members
• Develop a plan that will include a mix of regular intra-group communications channels (Intranet and Spark) and media (video, webinars, leader introductions)
• Manage the company’s Pacific Region presence (messaging, key projects, thought leaders, community engagement, and special initiatives) on Stantec.com
• Develop and maintain a communications plan and calendar of communications initiatives and events to ensure that Stantec’s message is reflected in multiple digital and print platforms.
• Develop integrated digital campaign strategies and measure effectiveness through analytics and lead generation.
• Develop strong working partnerships with key members of regional business lines, sectors, and business centers; regional marketing, communications, and PR professionals; and corporate partners to support the implementation of our strategic plan.
• Develop and implement business processes and procedures, in partnership with technical and marketing leaders, to ensure efficiency, accuracy, and productivity as it relates to internal communications, distribution processes, web content updates and management, and a centralized process for sending alerts and updates to executives and other groups across the region.
• Contribute to overall issues and crisis communications planning.
• Support the development and presentation of white papers, speeches, and client presentations.
• Manage the ongoing development of project profiles and resumes for the Pacific Region.
• Develop and manage means to effectively measure success of the work.
Your Capabilities and Credentials:
• Post-secondary degree in communications, public relations, English, journalism, or marketing.
• 7-10 years of experience in communications on AEC industry-related topics, and strong knowledge of the land development, transportation, water, infrastructure, environmental services, power and energy, and buildings markets is preferred.
• Strong background and experience in communications including internal, external, and executive communications.
• Must demonstrate ability to creatively meet the needs of an integrated engineering and architectural organization.
• Must demonstrate experience and success in providing strategic communications counsel to executive and senior management as well as peers.
• Creative thinker with outstanding storytelling, writing and digital communication skills.
• Ability to write for technical experts and executives.
• Solid planning, organizational and research skills.
• Strong understanding of social media platforms, PR, and digital content engagement strategies.
• Ability to contribute efficiently in a fast-paced environment with acute attention to detail.
• Experience with content management systems, project database management, and client relationship management systems.
• Detail-oriented and organized, with exceptional prioritization skills
• Ability to effectively balance multiple priorities
• Fundamental understanding of the media landscape (traditional, social)
• Excellent interviewing, written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment, as well as to work autonomously
• Familiarity with photography and video preferred
Interested? Apply here